Items ethically sourced from the Holy Land by the Holy Land Gift Shop
Who is Benefitting from my Holy Land Product Purchase?
When shopping for Holy Land products online, especially products made from olive wood, mother-of-pearl, or items claiming to be from Holy Land artisans, you may come across many products on places like Amazon offered by various sellers.
We often warn shoppers that many of these items may not be from the Holy Land at all, and if they are, it’s often hard to know who is benefitting from their sale and if they were ethically sourced.
If you’re shopping for Holy Land items, important questions to ask are:
- Where was this made?
- Was this ethically sourced, or can I tell if the makers were paid a fair wage?
- Who benefits from my purchase? Do Christians in the Holy Land benefit?
Olive wood items from the Holy Land Gift Shop
How do I know a product is made in the Holy Land?
There are many products online claiming to be genuine olive wood and mother-of-pearl products, which look very similar to those made in the Holy Land. Here are a few ways you will be able to tell if they are genuine Holy Land items:
- Turn the product over. If it was made outside of the Holy Land, you will probably see a stamp that says, for example, “Made in China,” stating whichever country the product was made.
- Does it have a certificate of authenticity? Many Holy Land products, but not all, come with a certificate of authenticity stating where it originated and by whom it was made.
- Price can sometimes be a determining factor. For example, if you see an olive wood product being sold on Amazon, and it costs significantly less than something you might see in our shop, it’s probably not from the Holy Land. Most likely, it is also not hand crafted. If the item states that it’s handmade, then you might question whether it was ethically sourced and artisans were paid a fair price for it.
- If it comes from the Holy Land Gift Shop, you can be sure it was made in the Holy Land. We travel to the Holy Land to buy the products straight from the artisans. There is no middleman.
An example of a certificate of authenticity that comes with a Holy Land product
How do I know a product was made by Christians or benefits Christians in the Holy Land?
Just because an item is Christian in nature doesn’t mean it was made by Christians. There are many “Holy Land” products online that may have been made by non-Christians and even by people in various countries outside the Holy Land.
To determine if the product benefits Christians and the Holy Land, first look to see where the product was made. Then, look at the company selling it. By going to its website, you may be able to tell if it’s a Christian company or not. If you can’t tell, you can always contact the shop or the seller to ask.
You know products sold by the Holy Land Gift Shop benefit Christians because we personally source each item and purchase directly from shops employing Christian artisans.
See the many authentic Holy Land items in the Holy Land Gift Shop.